Tulsi Essential Oil
A powerful aromatic herb used extensively both in Ayurvedic clinical and folk medicine, Tulsi, or holy basil, is considered a purifier of the mind, body, and spirit. Tulsi has a special place in Hindu courtyards across India, where it is planted for its auspicious and protective powers. Its unique blend of medicinal and fragrant qualities have earned this sharp, fresh herbaceous-minty oil the title "Elixir of Life". With powerful therapeutic benefits, our tulsi essential oil is an aromatic jewel that belongs in every natural medicine chest.
This powerful basil oil has been used for centuries and is cherished for its protective and uplifting nature. Tulsi, meaning “the incomparable one”, is thought to embody a purifying radiance that refines body, mind and spirit. Tulsi brilliantly boosts vitality and can be used daily to maintain resilient health. When diffused, Tulsi will promote vitality for the whole family and should therefore always be on hand, especially when the children become congested. Reminiscent of freshly cut basil, Tulsi’s unique fragrance qualities are spicy, sweet and herbaceous-minty, with a pronounced warm, clove-like accent. Its effects are warming, clarifying and uplifting.
How To Use Tulsi Essential Oil
- In the Diffuser: Tulsi has a strong, purifying fragrance, though it can also be effectively blended with other oils like eucalyptus and conifers to make it sweeter and less spicy. You may also want to experiment with adding in a drop or two of citrus or clary sage.
Ayurvedic Wisdom for Tulsi Essential Oil
According to the ancient healing system of Ayurveda, Tulsi is considered a "sattvic" plant, which maintains harmonious balance within the body and thereby produces virtue and joy. Tulsi can be especially helpful for problems caused by Kapha.
Safety Considerations for Tulsi Essential Oil
Tulsi essential oil is dermo-caustic and should only be applied topically in extreme dilution of 0.5% or less. Non-toxic and non-sensitizing when diluted appropriately. Do not use during pregnancy. Avoid if susceptible to epilepsy. Do not use on children under two years old. Do not take tulsi essential oil internally.
Aromatic Profile and Blending for Tulsi Essential Oil
- Perfumery Note: Middle or top note
- Odor: Sharp, fresh, sweet-spicy, camphorous, herbaceous-minty, licorice-like
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Strong
- Dry-out: Balsamic, clove/anise-like
- Blends Well With: Citrus oils and florals; bergamot, clary sage, geranium, hyssop, lime, opopanax, oak moss and citronella
- Botanical Name: Ocimum sanctum
- Family: Lamiaceae
- Composition: 100% Pure Tulsi Essential Oil
- Origin: India
- Method of Extraction: Steam Distillation
- Cultivation/Harvesting: Organic
- Plant Part: Leaves and flowering tops
- Color: Clear to pale yellow or green
- Consistency: Thin, mobile
- Yield: 0.8%
- Bottle Size: ½ fl oz (15 mL)